The UPK program is for any Geneva City School District 3- or 4-year-old. Three-year-old classes operate three hours per day and 4-year-old classes operate six hours per day; all classes operate five days a week. The pre-kindergarten classrooms are strategically located with a limited amount of spaces throughout the city of Geneva to enhance accessibility for families. There is no fee to participate, but registration is required.
Director of Head Start/Pre-K
Phone: (315) 781-4104 ext. 7000
According to the New York State (NYS) Board of Regents Early Childhood Policy, the goal of universal pre-kindergarten (UPK) is to give children a healthy start and attain skills and concepts needed to have a successful academic experience in developmentally-appropriate programs with instruction by highly qualified persons and support given to families. NYS funded UPK programs are required to fill slots using a lottery system. NYS mandates that all UPK programs are structured to include the following domains:
- Approaches to Learning: How children become involved in learning and acquiring knowledge.
- Physical Development and Health: Children’s physical health and ability to engage in daily activities.
- Social and Emotional Development: The emotional competence and ability to form positive relationships that give meaning to children’s experiences in the home, school, and larger community.
- Communication, Language, and Literacy: Children’s understanding, creating, and communicating meaning.
- Cognition and Knowledge of the World: What children need to know and understand about their world and how they apply what they know. This domain is a direct reflection of the content competencies and knowledge of the Common Core Learning Standards.
For enrollment questions, contact:
Family Service Facilitator
Phone: (315) 781-4104 ext. 7008
30 West Street
Geneva, NY 14456
Main Office: (315) 781-4104
Fax: (315) 781-4198
Geneva UPK classrooms are located at the following sites:
399 William Street, Geneva, NY
Contact: Mary Bakogiannis, (315) 789-1616
3- and 4-year-olds
731 Pre-Emption Road, Geneva, NY
Contact: Chris Schultz, (315) 789-6850
The center is licensed by the New York State Education Department and the Office of Children and Family Services offering preschool, UPK and daycare opportunities for children with and without disabilities.
Jim Dooley Center for Early Learning
196 North Street (Hospital Campus) Geneva
Contact: Kathy Brown-Ryrko, (315) 787-4190
This center is NYS Licensed and accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children. Program offers full-time and year round care in addition to UPK program.
West Street School
30 West Street, Geneva
Contact: Karissa Schutt, Director, (315) 781-4104 ext. 7000