The minutes are a legal record of the activities of the School Board as a public corporation having the specified legal purpose of maintaining public schools. The minutes of all meetings shall be kept by the Clerk or, in his/her absence, by the Superintendent or his/her designee. The minutes shall be complete and accurate and stored in a minutes file. However, minutes of executive sessions need not include any matter which is not required to be made public by the Freedom of Information Law.
The minutes of each meeting of the Board of Education shall state:
- The type of meeting;
- The date, time of convening, and adjournment;
- Board members present and absent;
- Board members' arrival and departure time, if different from opening or adjournment times;
- All action taken by the Board, with evidence of those voting in the affirmative and the negative, and those abstaining;
- The nature of events that transpire, in general terms of reference.
Communications and other documents that are too long and bulky to be included in the minutes shall be referred to in the minutes and shall be filed in the District Office.
All Board minutes shall be signed by the District Clerk when approved and stored in a locked room or locked file cabinet. Unless otherwise provided by law, minutes shall be available to the public within two (2) weeks following the date of a meeting; draft copies, so marked, are acceptable, subject to correction.
Public Officers Law Section 106