GENEVA HEAD START
Policy Council Meeting
1. Welcome/establish quorum: 12–12:15 p.m.: Ahmad
- Ahmad Whitfield (Chairperson)- Present
- Iranisha Vazquez (Vice Chairperson)- Not present
- Jean Perkins (Secretary)- Not present
- Toscinia Elliot-Monclova- Not present
- Margaret Mattison- Present
- Tiara Thomas- Not Present
- Dawn Stryker- Not Present
- William Parmer- Not Present
- Marsha Foote- Not present
- Chris Finger- Present
- Benny Caleron- Not present
- Christy Grady- Present
- James Grady- Present
Quorum? NO- Electronic votes to follow
- Karissa Schutt- Present
- Jena Fuchs- Present
- May Farnsworth- not present
- Additional presenter (if applicable) Cecilia Rodriguez- Present
2. Approval Minutes: 12:15–12:20 p.m.: Ahmad
No suggested edits
3. Monthly training: 12:10–12:30 p.m.: Cecilia
- ERSEA-Final Rule- members reviewed power point, led by Cecilia that covered eligibility, recruitment, selection, enrollment, attendance, and Final Rule.
- Approval of 2018–19 Selection Criteria*- members reviewed proposed updates and explained how they relate to the community assessment.
- Approval of ERSEA Policy and Procedures*- no discussion
4. Director’s Report: 12:30–12:50 p.m.: Karissa & Jena
- Annual Report- Karissa gave overview and shared highlights.
- Development of 2018-2019 Grant application/updates- Karissa discussed process for updating grant application. She and coordinators will work together on updates.
- Delegate Contract- Copies of the contract provided due to request from last month’s meeting. Karissa explained how we have delayed payments this year when obligations/responsibilities outlined in contract have not been met. James asked how much control we have over how delayed payments impact program operations. Karissa explained that although program operations are the responsibility of the delegates, we can make updates to the contract annually.
- Canandaigua Site Monitoring Report- copies provided. Grantee continues to support delegates and follow-up with outstanding items.
5. Budget/Finance: 12:50–12:55 p.m.: Karissa
- Budget- Karissa highlighted the money allocated for training.
6. Parent Engagement Committee: 12:55–1 p.m.: Jena/parent rep
- December classroom activity- Family Engagement Committee met and voted on the classroom activity to be held this month. Cinnamon applesauce ornaments will be made.
- Opening Doors- bilingual parenting curriculum will be led by Brittney and Laurel and will be open to the community. Ahmad also shared out about his monthly father meeting that will begin next week.
7. Monthly Report: 1–1:10 p.m.: All
Questions/discussion- no discussion
8. Council Member Updates/Highlights: 1:10–1:20 p.m.: All
Public library is hosting puppet shows next Tuesday. Head Start classes will be attending as a field trip. Geneva Human Rights Commission is hosting a Human Rights Day event tonight called The Colors of Us with food and family friendly activities. Tree lighting ceremony will be held in Genesee Park. Fundraiser/birthday party for Ahmad’s son will be held on 12/17/18 at the Geneva Community Center and will benefit the Golisano’s Children Hospital and Ronald McDonald House
9. Board of Education Liaison Updates: 1:20–1:30 p.m.: May
10. Closing*: 1:30 p.m.
*indicates vote needed
- Previous month’s minutes
- Selection Criteria
- ERSEA Policy and Procedures
- Annual Report
- Delegate contract
- Canandaigua Site Monitoring Report
- Opening Doors flier
- Monthly Report
- PAWS Nights offer free, family friendly activities every Tuesday 5-7pm at West Street School.
- 12/1– Lunch Bunch 11 a.m.–12 p.m. Stage Conf Rm
- 12/8– *Policy Council 12–1:30 p.m. Stage Conf Rm
- 12/15– Daddies DO Care, 1st meeting! Open to all fathers/father figures in our community– 12–1 p.m. Stage Conf Rm
- 12/19– Puppet Show @ the Library (parents welcome to meet us there!). Carpenter AM, Adam, & Nesbitt 10 a.m.. Capenter PM, Robertson, and Jacobs 1 p.m.
- 12/21– Come make a winter craft with your child in their classroom!– lookout for flier w/ details
- 12/25-1/1– Program Closed for Winter Recess
*indicates Head Start event, WS classes only