GENEVA HEAD START
Policy Council Meeting
1. Welcome/establish quorum: 12–12:15 p.m.: Ahmad
- Ahmad Whitfield (Chairperson)- Present
- Iranisha Vazquez (Vice Chairperson)- Present
- Jean Perkins (Secretary)- Not present
- Toscinia Elliot-Monclova- Not present
- Margaret Mattison- Present
- Tiara Thomas- Not Present
- Dawn Stryker- Not Present
- William Parmer- Not Present
- Marsha Foote- Present
- Chris Finger- Present
- Benny Caleron- Not present
- Christy Grady- Not present
- James Grady- Present
- Karissa Schutt- Present
- Jena Fuchs- Present
- May Farnsworth- not present
- Additional presenter (if applicable)
2. Approval Minutes: 12:15–12:20 p.m.: Ahmad
No suggested edits.
Motion: James; Second: Marsha; Vote: All in favor
3. Monthly training: 12:10–12:30 p.m.: Karissa
- Understanding Financial Reporting/The Head Start Budget Process- Karissa reviewed the budget with members. Members practiced reading budget lines. Marsha asked question regarding salary amount shown under the encumbered column. Karissa explained how the school district encumbers funds. Marsha also asked about adult meals and Karissa explained that our program pays for up to two adult meals per classroom during lunch time to support family style meals.
- Continuing Self-Assessment- Policy Council members signed up for additional self-assessment work groups.
4. Director’s Report: 12:30–12:50 p.m.: Karissa & Jena
- Danya Incorporation Federal Review notification letter- Karissa announced to the group that our Federal Review will take place the week of March 5th. Monitoring protocols are available. We have met with our delegate program to prepare for the review. Karissa reiterated that we have much to be proud about. Group discussed how Policy Council can support the review.
- Monitoring simulation- Group watched the Family Services Monitoring simulation on the ECLKC website.
5. Budget/Finance: 12:50–12:55 p.m.: Karissa
- Budget- Previously reviewed.
6. Parent Engagement Committee: 12:55–1 p.m.: Jena/parent rep
- January classroom activity- Nesbitt’s class will offer an activity.
- Daddies Do Care- Second meeting will occur next Friday at 12pm. Fliers have gone out and the event has been advertised on Facebook.
- Opening Doors- Pilot of new parent curriculum began today at Geneva Public Library.
Jena shared that her overarching question for self-assessment is, “How can we make our interactions with families more meaningful?” Also told group about
7. Monthly Report: 1–1:10 p.m.: All
Questions/discussion- No discussion.
8. Council Member Updates/Highlights: 1:10–1:20 p.m.: All
Jena encouraged members to attend the Martin Luther King Jr. celebration taking place Monday, 1/15 at the Methodist Church.
9. Board of Education Liaison Updates: 1:20–1:30 p.m.: May
Karissa shared on May’s behalf that construction taking place at North Street School is on track. It is anticipated in Fall of 2018 that second graders will attend North Street School, allowing room for our Universal Pre-Kindergarten classroom to be housed here at West Street School.
10. Closing*: 1:30 p.m.: All
Motion: Margaret; Second: James; Vote: All in favor
*indicates vote needed
- Previous month’s minutes
- Danya Incorporation Federal Review notification letter
- Focus Area 2 handout
- Monthly Report