GENEVA HEAD START
Policy Council Meeting
1. Welcome/establish quorum: noon to 12:15 p.m.: Ahmad
- Toscinia Elliot-Monclova- present (via video call)
- Ahmad Whitfield- present
- Jean Perkins- not present
- Iranisha Vazquez- present
- Margaret Mattison- not present
- William Parmer- not present
- Dawn Stryker- not present
- Marsha Foote- present
- Chris Finger- present
- Benny Calderon- not present
- James Grady- present
- Christy Grady- present
- Karissa Schutt- present
- Jena Fuchs- present
- Additional presenter (if applicable)- Sue Mook
- May Farnsworth- not present
2. Approval of minutes*: 12:15–12:20 p.m.: Ahmad
No suggested edits. ELECTRONICALLY APPROVED.
3. Monthly training: 12:10–12:20 p.m.: Sue
- Nutritional and Health, Safe Environments
Sue discussed the process we used to update our Health, Nutrition, and Safety Policies & Procedures. Sue explained the policy change relating to lice that was made in order to minimize the amount of time students miss from school. Policy change relating to staff health requirements were also explained. Karissa also mentioned how this change will cut program costs.
4. Director’s Report: 12:20–12:50 p.m.: Karissa & Jena
- Approval 2017–18 Self Assessment & 2018-2019 Improvement Plan*
Karissa gave an overview of self-assessment and improvement plan. Marsha asked about Ready Rosie and council members viewed a demo of the program. ELECTRONICALLY APPROVED.
- Approval of Budget and Grant Application*
Karissa discussed the process of completing the grant application. Marsha asked about role of executive director for delegate sites and Karissa clarified. No other discussion. ELECTRONICALLY APPROVED.
- Governance Training Plan 2018–19*
Council reviewed training plan for next year. No discussion. ELECTRONICALLY APPROVED.
- Program Training Plan 2018–19*
Karissa provided an overview of training plan and explained how we’re able to pull funds from different grants to support training. ELECTRONICALLY APPROVED.
- Five Year Goal Updates*
Karissa provided an overview of our program five-year goals and council members looked at the document together. No questions. ELECTRONICALLY APPROVED
- Federal Review Debrief
Karissa talked about the data collected and the interviews that took place during the review process. Karissa and Jena shared out about interview between reviewer and Policy Council. Council members were thanked for all of their support and ongoing efforts. Jay asked about Human Resources system in relation to Head Start. Karissa explained that since we are under a school district with systems in place, we are supported by them. She also mentioned that Head Start staff have additional requirements.
5. Budget/Finance: 12:50–12:55 p.m.: Karissa
Karissa explained that the format is slightly different due to new system. No questions regarding the budget.
6. Parent Engagement Committee: 12:55–1 p.m.: Jena/parent rep
- Spend Smart- will be rescheduled
- Parent/child dance in March- need help planning