Unit 5 Essential and Focus Questions
Unit 5 Essential Questions
- What impact do regional and global trade networks have on regional cultures?
- How do physical and human geography affect people, places and regions?
- How are the concepts of time and space vital to the understanding of history?
Unit 5 Focus Questions
- What are the characteristics of a “golden age?”
- Why is the Tang Dynasty referred to as a golden age?
- In what ways did Chinese culture affect the cultures of Korea and Japan?
- What role did women play in the Tang and Song dynasties? What leisure activities were available to upper-class women?
- How have contributions from the Guptas impacted or improved our lives today?
- What role did the caste system and the Hindu faith have on society in India?
- What specific geographic factors led to the success of Constantinople as a center of trade activity, cultural diffusion, and military defense?
- In what ways were the Roman and Byzantine Empires connected?
- What role did the Byzantine Empire play in the preservation and transmission of Greek and Roman knowledge and culture? What was preserved? How was it preserved?
- What impact did the Byzantine Empire have on neighboring Russia?
- In what ways was the fall of Constantinople to the Turks in 1453 a turning point in world history?
- How did Islam link Eastern and Western cultures?
- During the Golden Age of Islam, what contributions were made to global history by Muslims?
- What roles did trade, conquest, and missionaries play in the spread of Islam?